What is Accreditation and why is it so important?
Accreditation is a voluntary activity initiated by the institution that requires a rigorous self-evaluation and an independent, objective appraisal of the overall educational quality by peers. Accreditation emphasizes quality assurance and a commitment to continuous quality enhancement. To achieve accreditation , an institution must:
• Comply with rigorous standards;
• Develop and implement Policies and Procedures;
• Undergo an annual review of its financial stability, retention and placement rates; and
• Undergo announced and unannounced site visits.
If judged to be in compliance with established standards, an accreditation status may be granted for a specific period, ranging from three to eight years.
Why is Accreditation Important?
Accreditation is important because it:
- Helps determine if an institution meets or exceeds minimum standards of quality.
- Helps students determine acceptable institutions for enrollment.
- Assists institutions in determining acceptability of transfer credits.
- Helps employers determine the validity of programs of study and whether a graduate is qualified. Employers often require evidence that applicants have received a degree from an accredited school or program.
- Enables graduates to sit for certification examinations.
- Involves staff, faculty, students, graduates, and advisory boards in institutional evaluation and planning.
- Creates goals for institutional self-improvement.
- Provides a basis for determining eligibility for federal student assistance. Students must attend an accredited institution to apply for federal grants or loans.
Smudge Hair & Makeup Academy is Nationally Accredited with the QCTO, Internationally Accredited with ITEC and the VTCT (London) and awaiting registration approval with the DHET (Department of Higher education and training - South Africa).
ITEC has a close working partnership with over 650 approved centres worldwide, and has offices in London, South Africa and Asia Pacific and representation in Ireland and the United States of America. ITEC offers centres and learners high quality regulated qualifications for employability, specialist subjects and skills enhancement. The ITEC portfolio includes qualifications in beauty and spa therapy, complementary therapies, sports and fitness, hairdressing and customer service sectors.
We’re a specialist awarding organisation
Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT) is a specialist awarding organisation offering vocational and technical qualifications in a range of service sectors. With more than 1,200 approved centres, VTCT has an ever expanding list of centres throughout the UK and Ireland, with increasing international presence.
The QCTO is responsible for the accreditation of Skills Development Providers (SDPs).
Our Accreditation number is: SDP1228/17/004